Deriving Mathematical Understandings
Mathematics is a discipline in which concepts build upon prior knowledge and understandings. Throughout the middle and high school standards, students are expected to derive formulas and develop generalizations. During this session, we will share ways to engage students in exploratory activities that will allow them to “discover” common useful formulas based on their prior mathematical experiences. Join us as we derive formulas for area and volume of a variety of shapes, the quadratic formula, and more! Participants will gain insight into the connections between mathematical concepts that will allow their students to go beyond memorization.
- Grade Band: 6th – Algebra 1
- Date: December 12, 2018
- This session will also be offered on June 6, 2019.
- Time: 9AM-4PM, includes a one-hour lunch break
- Location: Classroom Q24, Jackson Avenue Center, University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS
- Fee: $125.00, includes 0.6 CEUs